Recently when I was researching Trove's digitised newspapers, I came across a newly-added photograph of my great aunt Nancy de Crespigny.
|Miss N. de Crespigny, Salt Creek Image from State Library of South Australia PRG 1218/34/435|
Nancy Champion de Crespigny (1910-2003), the second child of Constantine Trent Champion de Crespigny and his wife Beatrix née Hughes, was the sister of my grandfather Geoff. She was a close lifelong friend of my grandmother Kathleen, Geoff's wife.
Nancy went to Woodlands School in Adelaide and then attended the University of Melbourne, where she graduated in 1933 with a history degree. She studied archeology at the University of London and Newnham College of Cambridge University.
The photograph comes from the State Library of Australia. It was taken 8 March 1936 by Charles Pearcy Mountford (1890-1976) at Salt Creek, also known as also known as Winnininnie Creek, about 330 kilometres north of Adelaide.
The photo of Nancy is in the Mountford-Sheard Collection. In the same collection I found two shots of Nancy's future husband Hallum Movius (1907-1987) taken on the same day.
|Hallam Movius, Salt Creek Image from State Library of South Australia PRG 1218/34/433B|
|Hallam Movius, Salt Creek Image from State Library of South Australia PRG PRG 1218/34/433A|
The Adelaide Advertiser of 11 March 1936 mentions Nancy and Hal's excursion. With them was the Adelaide anthropologist Charles Pearcy Mountford (1890-1907) .
|PERSONAL (1936, March 11). The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954), p. 18. Retrieved from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article35415220|
A few months later, in June, Hal sailed from Australia. Nancy followed in July. In September the pair married in London.
|Life on the Ocean Wave (1936, June 18). Table Talk (Melbourne, Vic. : 1885 - 1939), p. 9. Retrieved from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article152065161|
|Adelaide Archaeologist (1936, August 1). The Australian Women's Weekly (1933 - 1982), p. 25. Retrieved from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article48212356|
|DAUGHTER OF ADELAIDE DOCTOR MARRIED (1936, September 28). The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954), p. 13. Retrieved from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article48182227|
|Lighter Side of London Life Adelaide Girl Weds Young Archaeologist (1936, October 27). News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954), p. 8. Retrieved from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article132025722|
- The memoir of my grandmother mentions Nancy several times although only in passing: Kathleen Cudmore: a Memoir
- My great-aunt Nancy owned a small camphorwood box with a silver plaque engraved with a shield and a motto. My father did some research into the coat of arms on that box: A search for the arms of the Dana family
- Obituary for Nancy Movius in The Boston Globe of 12 December 2003
- Hallam L. Movius from Biographical Memoirs of the National Academy of Sciences
- Philip Jones, 'Mountford, Charles Pearcy (1890–1976)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/mountford-charles-pearcy-11188/text19941, published first in hardcopy 2000, accessed online 2 May 2017.
- SA Memory: Charles P. Mountford, photographer and ethnographer
- Trove Help ›› Using Trove ›› Getting to know us ›› Trove is...